Dog Eating Chocolate Symptoms

Symptoms of Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs

Dog chocolate poisoning symptoms may not show for up to 12 hours. Depending on how long your dog goes without treatment is the most important thing to think of. Once mild symptoms start to show, you should take your dog to the veterinarian immediately before the symptoms progress.

Depending on what kind of chocolate and how much your dog consumed will also depend on the severity of the symptoms and how quickly they progress. This means that symptoms may start to show within the hour, and they may progress very quickly if enough was consumed. Once your dog has chocolate, he will likely seek it out again to have another taste. It is important to keep all chocolate substances away from your dog, especially if he has consumed some already.

Mild Symptoms of Dogs Eating Chocolate

Mild symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs may begin within 4 hours of consumption, or may not begin for up to 12 hours of consumption, depending on what kind of chocolate and how much was consumed. The early signs of chocolate poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity

Although these symptoms could be caused by a number of different things, it is important to keep in mind about what was left around the house. This is especially important around the holiday’s, and when there are many people in your house at one time. You can check your dog’s vomit and diarrhea for any signs of chocolate consumption as well.

Severe Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs Symptoms

As time goes on without treatment, the toxic substance known as theobromine will continue to absorb in the bloodstream. Dog chocolate poisoning symptoms will become more severe and may be more difficult for your veterinarian to treat. Further symptoms include:

  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Muscle twitching
  • Panting
  • Whimpering/whining
  • Increased urination
  • Excess water consumption

Many people have described their dog’s behavior as being drunk, with loss of coordination and stumbling around. Keep in mind that symptoms may vary from dog to dog, and that even a few of these symptoms together may be a serious problem and should be treated by a professional right away.

What Happens Next?

Once theobromine has been absorbed, symptoms will worsen and your dog will become very ill. You should have taken your dog to the vet by the time your dog started showing symptoms of odd behavior, muscle twitching, vomiting, etc. However, sometimes this is not possible. The following symptoms are the most serious and will very likely lead to death.

  • Gums are a blue or gray color
  • Muscle tremors
  • Uncontrollable bladder
  • Extreme hyperactivity
  • Seizures
  • Hyperthermia
  • Coma
  • Cardiac arrest

If your dog goes into a coma, it does not look good for his recovery. A coma will eventually lead to your dog’s organ’s shutting down and death will follow shortly after. It’s important to remember that it’s your responsibility to notice any signs of chocolate ingestion, and take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.