Dog Rat Poison Symptoms

Rat Poison Symptoms in Dogs

Eating rat poison is a very dangerous and life-threatening for your dog. The rat poison interferes with the blood clotting factors in your dog’s system and will eventually cause bleeding from different parts of your dog’s body.

If left untreated, the consumption of rat poison is often fatal. Usually symptoms of rat poison ingestion do not show until a few hours after consumption.

Symptoms of rat poison consumption may be similar to other illnesses. The severity of the poisoning usually depends on the type of rat poison used, how much was ingested and what chemicals are in that particular brand of rat poison.

Rat Poison Symptoms to Look For in Your Dog:

  • Pale gums
  • Weakness
  • Loss of coordination
  • Bloody nose
  • Blood in urine or feces
  • Coughing up blood
  • Excessive drooling
  • Muscle twitching or muscle paralysis
  • Rapid breathing or difficulty in breathing
  • Low body temperature
  • Bruising
  • Hair loss
  • Loss of appetite
  • Blood in the saliva
  • Seizures
  • Foaming at the mouth

It is important to note that symptoms may not be present right after consumption of rat poison.

Your dog’s symptoms may vary, but it is important to take your dog to the veterinarian immediately if you suspect he has ingested any type of rat poison, whether it be the actual pellets or through eating a rodent who has been poisoned.

Types of Rat Poisons

There are a few different types of rat poisons and rodenticides available. They are sold by category:

Anticoagulants: Also known as warafin, fumarin or bromadiolone. Anticoagulants work by depleting vitamin K inside the body. Anticoagulants are the most common in rat poisons.

Cholecalciferol: This type of poison drastically affects the calcium levels. Cholecalciferol will cause mineralization of the blood vessels, stomach, lungs and kidneys. Symptoms of Cholecalciferol poisoning may not appear for 24 hours.

Bromethalin: This poison affects the brain and cerebrospinal fluid. It is a non-anticoagulant and may take up to 10 hours for symptoms of ingestion to show.